Thursday, September 08, 2005

Oil companies are engaging in price gouging

I know some of you are going to disagree with me on this but I do believe that the oil companies are engaging in price gouging. Consider the fact that gas was around $1.80 a year ago. Now its been around $3.00 and in some cases higher in certain parts of the country. The price also went up between 50-80% percent in one week. Now if thats not price gouging I dont know what it is. This is an important policy debate because the price of fuel drives up the cost of almost everything we buy. Transportation is a critical part of our economy because they deliver the goods.
html hit counter

1 comment:

Isaac M. Alderman said...

I'm not sure what's going on. Oil refineries, for reasons unknown to me, are always running at full capacity. Some refineries have been shut down by Katrina and so there is a slowdown in supply. I find it incredible that there are such slim margins, that losing 5% production can spike the market, but it seems to be the case. What amazes me is that oil was around $24 in 2000. That is $40 less than today, and we still do not have meaningful conservation and renewable energy goals.